EID-AL-FITR is celebrated on the first day of Shaw’waal, at the completion of Ramadan. Shaw’waal is the 10th month of the Islamic calendar. The Eid-al-Fitr is a very joyous day; it is a true Thanksgiving Day for the believing men and women. On this day Muslims show their real joy for the health, strength and the opportunities of life, which Allah has given to them to fulfill their obligation of fasting and other good deeds during the blessed month of Ramadan.
Sunnah of Eid
- Wake up early.
- Prepare for personal cleanliness, take care of details of clothing, etc.
- Take a Ghusl (bath) after Fajr.
- Brush your teeth.
- Dress up, putting on best clothes available, whether new or cleaned old ones.
- Use perfume (men only).
- Have breakfast on Eid-al-Fitr before leaving for prayer ground.
- Pay Zakaat-al-Fitr before Salaat-al-Eid (on Eid-al-Fitr).
- Go to prayer ground early.
- Offer Salaat-al-Eid in congregation in an open place except when weather is not permitting like rain.
- Use two separate route to and from the prayer ground.
- Recite the following Takbir on the way to Salaat and until the beginning of Salaat-al-Eid:
Allaho-Akber, Allaho-Akber. La ila-ha ill-lal-lah. Allaho-Akber, Allaho-Akber. Wa-lilahill hamd. (Allah is great, Allah is great. There is no god but Allah. Allah is great, Allah is great. And all praises are for Allah).
Who should go to the prayer ground & offer Eid Prayer:
Umm Atiyah (ra) reported: “The Messenger of Allah (saw) commanded us to bring out on Eid-al-Fitr and Eid-al-Adha, young women, hijab-observing adult women and the menstruating women. The menstruating women stayed out of actual Salaat but participated in good deeds and Duaa (supplication). I (Umm Atiyah) said to the Holy Prophet (saw): Oh! Messenger of Allah, one does not have an outer garment. He replied: Let her sister cover her with her garment.” ( Muslim )
On the Eid day, every believing man, woman and child must go to the prayer ground and participate in this joyous occasion.